About Me

My photo
Ilov Integrated Arts, LLC, is owned and operated by Cheryl Ilov, PT, GCFP. Cheryl integrates her knowledge of the science of physical therapy with her passion for the movement arts. She is a licensed physical therapist, Pilates instructor, Certified Feldenkrais® Practitioner, dancer and martial artist. It is her firm belief that many painful conditions, as well as stress and fatigue, can significantly improve through movement.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Habits, constraints, and neuroplasticity....let the learning begin!

    In my martial arts class, we often practice something called "randori". One student stands in the center of the room while the other students form a circle around them and take turns randomly attacking the person in the middle. It's kind of like the Ninja version of monkey in the middle. And it scares me to death. It is my least favorite training activity, but my incomparable stubborness won't let me opt out. And besides, the guys would make fun of me if I refused to play with them.

    Last week, after we completed our randori, just as I heaved a sigh of relief, Sensei said, "We're going again." He looked at me and said, "And you are not allowed to do the same techniques. I want you to find new ways to react to each attack." My response to that constraint was not very mature or Ninja-like. I threw a hissy fit.  Apparently my little temper tantrum didn't phase him. Either he is immune to them or I need to work on my hissy fit skills. Anyway, he wouldn't budge. Sheesh, I thought I was stubborn!

    Before we began, he had me stop, breathe and relax. Not an easy task when you are surrounded by men waiting to attack you. Against my better judgment, I listened to him. Then I took my place in the middle of the circle and let the games begin. The attacks started coming. And something very interesting happened. I felt new movement patterns come forth without even trying. My reactions were more thoughtful, meticulous and less effort. I discovered that I had a lot more techniques under my belt (so to speak) than I knew I had. I was calmer, my breathing was easier, my chest felt softer, my movements were more fluid. I felt myself responding in a visceral, organic way. 

    By giving me that one small constraint,  my Sensei gave me the opportunity to interrupt my habits explore new movement patterns, and discover new sensory patterns.  He did this in an environment that was safe, supportive and non-judgmental. What ever I did, it was not right or wrong, good or bad, just opportunities to learn. Hmmm....this sounds familiar. Why does this sound like  Feldenkrais? Because it is. The Feldenkrais Method(R) gives us the opportunity to learn new patterns of moving, sensing, thinking and feeling in an environment that is safe, supportive and nonjudgmental. Interesting, isn't it?

     What Sensei did that day was absolutely brilliant! But let's keep that to ourselves, shall we? We won't tell him I said that. After all, if I encourage him, who knows what devious new methods he will use to help me learn and grow. Hmmm....on second thought, maybe I will tell him!

Be healthy!
Cheryl Ilov, PT, GCFP



No comments:

Post a Comment