About Me

My photo
Ilov Integrated Arts, LLC, is owned and operated by Cheryl Ilov, PT, GCFP. Cheryl integrates her knowledge of the science of physical therapy with her passion for the movement arts. She is a licensed physical therapist, Pilates instructor, Certified Feldenkrais® Practitioner, dancer and martial artist. It is her firm belief that many painful conditions, as well as stress and fatigue, can significantly improve through movement.

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Feldenkrais Method(R), and spreading the word....


    As a Feldenkrais Practitioner, I feel that one of my responsibilities to the Feldenkrais community and the general public is to help spread the word of this remarkable Method. After all, why should those of us who have experienced it have all the fun? I want to share it, with as many people who are willing to listen to me. I want to give everyone the opportunity to experience the magic and reap the benefits of Feldenkrais.

    As a result, I never pass up an opportunity to give presentations on The Feldenkrais Method. I include a brief description of the Method, but since Feldenkrais is experiential and difficult to describe through words, I follow with an example of an Awareness Through Movement lesson. However, in my enthusiasm to spread the word, I have found myself in some very difficult, challenging, strange and uncomfortable situations.

    I recently gave a presentation to a professional group during their breakfast meeting. I found myself teaching a lesson to forty people who were taking turns ordering, receiving and eating their breakfast. My attention was divided between the lesson, the participants, their breakfasts and dodging the servers flying past me carrying huge platters of food. But, I spread the word.

    I gave another presentation to a group of student personal trainers. It was a beautiful summer day, and they chose to experience their lesson outside, next to a small lake. It seemed like a good idea at first. But, I underestimated the competition from the heat, the mosquitoes, and the bellowing voices of other students directing their clients through their workouts right next to us. But, I spread the word.

    I gave a presentation to a psychologist, his partners and his horses. Yes, I said horses. As a result of that presentation, I was invited to teach a workshop to his training group that specialized in Equine Therapy, applying the principles of Feldenkrais to their psychology practice and their horses. I taught the workshop in a beautiful meadow surrounded by mountains, wildflowers and horses. What a lovely environment to spread the word!


    I am fond of horses, but I never had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with them. I'll admit, I was a bit nervous and apprehensive at first. I was amazed to learn that horses are the most gentle, sensitive creatures I have ever been around. I also discovered that a horse is a powerful teacher, but that is a story for another day. The point is, it would have been a shame if I had missed out on such a glorious and rewarding learning experience. Sometimes you just have to put yourself out there, even if it's challenging or uncomfortable. You never know what wonderful new learning experience may unfold for you as well as your audience. All you have to do is spread the word.



Be healthy!
Cheryl Ilov, PT, GCFP

No comments:

Post a Comment