About Me

My photo
Ilov Integrated Arts, LLC, is owned and operated by Cheryl Ilov, PT, GCFP. Cheryl integrates her knowledge of the science of physical therapy with her passion for the movement arts. She is a licensed physical therapist, Pilates instructor, Certified Feldenkrais® Practitioner, dancer and martial artist. It is her firm belief that many painful conditions, as well as stress and fatigue, can significantly improve through movement.

Monday, December 5, 2011

And that's how the journey began....

    Eight years ago I began my training as a martial artist. Full disclosure; I did it on a dare. I honestly thought I would take a few classes and then quit. After a month or two, I realized how much I enjoyed the classes. However, I wasn't going to continue training. I had proved a point, and now I could quit at any time with my dignity intact. I didn't know why, or how it happened. I just kept showing up. As intimidated and terrified as I was, at least twice a week I found myself in the Dojo, wondering what I was doing there. I knew I wasn't going to stick with it, and I surely wasn't ever going to test. I could certainly remain a white belt since I would be quitting soon, anyway.

    After three months of training, one of the guys badgered me into testing for my yellow belt. I didn't want to do it, but sometimes all you have to do is say the wrong thing (or in this case, the right thing) to get my blood boiling and have my incomparable stubbornness come rearing up to the forefront. So, I tested for my yellow belt. Three months later, the same guy taunted me to take the next level test. (Who was that masked man, anyway)? So, I tested. I knew I would probably be quitting soon, but at least I had two yellow belts to show for my efforts. And as proof to any one who may doubt me in the future when I told them about my six month long martial arts career.

    In spite of myself and my cavalier attitude, I learned a lot in those six months. I finally learned how to tie my belt properly, even though that skill took a full six months to master. I learned the Dojo etiquette and proper manners. I learned how to suppress my giggles during the meditation and formal bowing in at the beginning of class. I learned that I didn't have to be badgered into testing, and after my third test I realized that I didn't have to cry after each test. Not that I would cry in the Dojo; I always waited until I was in the privacy of my own car. But, after that third test,  I discovered that it was far more rewarding to go to the mall and buy something pretty instead.    

    However, the most valuable thing I learned was where the back door was just in case I ever wanted to make a fast exit in the middle of class. After all, I was going to quit soon, so why even wait until class was over?
 
    And thats how my journey began....


Be healthy!
Cheryl Ilov, PT, GCFP

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the days at the Willie Wetzel dojo in New Brighton, PA was an influence as well? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I never studied back then even though my Dad tried to get me and my sisters to train with him all those years ago. My Dad did get to see me at my Dojo in the early days, and lived long enough to see me get my 3rd degree brown belt. Hmmmm, maybe Willie Wetzel was more influential than I thought!

      Delete